The 7 Greatest Hootsuite Options: Confirmed
Are you looking for the best Hootsuite alternative to manage your social media presence?
You might want a social media tool with more features, a better user interface, or reasonably priced for teams and reports.
Or maybe you don't want to have anything to do with a company that does business with ICE and lies about it.
In this post, I'm going to break down the best Hootsuite alternatives that I have personally tested and provide a summary of each tool so you can make an informed decision.
The best Hootsuite alternatives in comparison
- Sendible – Great all-round Hootsuite alternative. It covers everything you need to monitor your social accounts, schedule updates, and run reports. Includes streams and a unified social inbox for maximum efficiency. Ideal for solo preneurs and inexpensive for agencies.
- AgoraPulse – Another great social media tool. The best interface of any Hootsuite alternative on this list. Reply to mentions, schedule social posts, run reports, and more. Ideal for teams and freelance social media managers.
- TweetDeck – Powerful free alternative to Hootsuite, but only supports Twitter.
- Commun.it – Focused on Twitter with additional audience engagement features that no other tool on this list (or Hootsuite) has.
- Tailwind – The best social media platform for Pinterest. Also supports Instagram.
- Publish buffer – Good free plan, but rather limited even on paid plans.
- Sprout Social – Excellent functionality, but mainly for large companies and corporate customers.
Now let's take a closer look at each Hootsuite alternative:
Sendible is my first choice for Hootsuite alternatives.
The first time I left Hootsuite, I jumped between different tools, but it was Sendible that I eventually got into.
You can connect all of your favorite social networks – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and more.
Just like in Hootsuite, you can view social media streams, but you get a social media inbox where all your news, tweets, and comments come together in a single feed. This feature alone saves me and my assistants hours every week!
The idea is that you don't miss any important news. And for those who use a VA for social media or work as part of a team, you can assign all social updates to your team.
Sendible also offers industry-leading planning capabilities. This includes a social media calendar, queues, content libraries, and posting RSS feeds. There's even a content curation feature that lets you find content to share with your audience.
Then there is the reporting and analysis function. You can create custom reports for each social network to get an idea of how your social presence is developing.
What if people share your content without tagging your username? Social listening is included so you can keep an eye on your brand.
Sendible is an incredible tool. I highly recommend that you sign up for a free trial and see for yourself!
- Connect with your audience through social streams or a social inbox.
- Easily publish social media content.
- Powerful scheduling features including social calendars, queues, content library, automatic RSS publishing, and more.
- Create custom reports.
- Social listening to uncover brand names.
- Integrated team collaboration and user accounts.
- Mobile app to manage your accounts on the go.
Price: Starts at $ 29 / month with a 14-day free trial.
Find out more in our Sendible test.
AgoraPulse is another great Hootsuite alternative that has a powerful set of features and a focus on simplicity.
With AgoraPulse you can manage all aspects of your social media activities.
There is no stream feature like in Hootsuite. Instead, you get a social media inbox. I prefer this because it is a huge time saver compared to using streams.
You can schedule updates, connect with your target audience, do keyword searches for brand names on social networks, and generate detailed reports.
There are some standout features, however.
There is a Tweets Inbox Assistant that you can use to set up rules for certain actions. For example, if a certain keyword is mentioned in a tweet, you can automatically assign it to a team member. This can be very time-saving.
AgoraPulse also categorizes your followers to help you find brand ambassadors and dedicated fans.
Given the price and features of AgoraPulse, it's ideal for teams and agencies.
- Social media inbox for monitoring and interacting with your audience.
- Schedule updates for popular social networks.
- Social media monitoring is included.
- With the built-in collaboration features, you can assign tasks to your team members.
- Create detailed reports with ease.
- Includes access to Social Media Manager School – an in-depth training course to improve your social media marketing skills.
Price: Plans start at € 99 / month and a free trial is available.
TweetDeck is a great alternative for those who only use Hootsuite to manage Twitter.
If you like how Hootsuite streams work, you'll feel right at home on TweetDeck.
You can customize each column in your streams by adding your messages, mentions, new followers, twitter lists, and more.
TweetDeck also includes basic social planning features.
Given the great price of absolutely nothing (yes, it's 100% free!), You can take advantage of this tool on a large scale.
This means that if you need to use other social networks like Pinterest, Facebook, and Linkedin, you will need other tools. Even so, it's ideal for those who are solely focused on Twitter.
- Supports Twitter.
- Create custom social streams.
- Manage your Twitter messages.
- Schedule tweets in the app.
- You don't have to sign up for a new tool.
Price: Completely free.
Commun.it is another tool that is Twitter-focused and has a heavy focus on audience engagement.
Similar to other tools, you can easily react and connect with your followers through a social media inbox.
You can also schedule tweets and view detailed reports.
Commun.it is characterized by functionality geared towards engagement. The social media dashboard allows you to complete daily tasks – all designed to encourage engagement with your audience.
You can see who followed / not followed you, get recommendations on who to follow, and recommendations on who to deal with. It's easy to see who your high quality followers are so that you can continue to develop those relationships.
- Use the social media dashboard to find the social activities to focus on.
- View all of your Tweets and DMs in a single social media inbox.
- Schedule and post tweets.
- Powerful features drive engagement.
- Create Twitter lists.
- View detailed reports and analysis.
- The content curation feature helps you find content that you can share with your audience.
Price: Free for individual profiles. Choose a paid plan starting at $ 19.99 / month to unlock additional features.
Tailwind is a social media tool that specializes in the more visual social platforms Pinterest and Instagram.
I can't comment much on Tailwind's Instagram page, but when it comes to Pinterest there is no other tool that comes close.
You can schedule pins for your boards, group boards, or even loop pins for re-sharing. Then view the analysis to see how things play out.
What I love about Tailwind is how they focus on incorporating Pinterest best practices into their platform. For example, you will receive a warning if you have already shared a PIN on a board or if you try to share it on more than 10 different boards.
This helps keep your Pinterest account in good shape.
Then there are other features like Tailwind Create that allow you to easily create Pins right on the platform.
My favorite feature is Tailwind Tribes. Join tribes based on different themes and you will find plenty of pins to share. You can also share your pins with the tribe to get more shares and grow your audience.
- Supports Instagram and Pinterest.
- Powerful social media planning.
- Insightful analysis.
- Pinterest best practices burned into the platform.
- Tailwind Tribes makes it easy to grow your audience on Pinterest.
- Create eye-catching pins with Tailwind Create.
Price: Starts for free with limited functions. Upgrade to a paid plan to unlock additional features like tailwind stems, etc.
Read our tail wind test.
6. Publish the buffer
Buffer Publish is a simple scheduling tool that supports popular social networks and comes with a limited free plan.
If you're looking for an alternative to the Hootsuite free plan, Buffer Publish is a great option.
However, it's important to remember that this is a simple planning tool that doesn't include social streams or a way to connect directly with your audience. You can add posts to your "buffer", set a posting schedule, or schedule posts at specific times.
Analytics is included so you can see how your posts are performing.
The user interface is excellent and there is a limited free plan, which makes it ideal for those new to social media tools.
Paid plans are available, but prices are
- Supports popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.
- Easy social planning and analysis.
- Mobile app for on the go.
- Integrates well with external content curation platforms such as Quuu.
Price: Free for 1 user, 3 social profiles, and 10 scheduled posts. Paid plans start at $ 18 per month but are still quite limited in terms of the number of posts you can queue.
7. Sprout Social
Sprout Social is an all-in-one social media tool best suited for large teams and companies.
If you need an alternative to Hootsuite's business or corporate plans, Sprout Social is for you.
You get access to a unified social inbox and powerful scheduling capabilities. A social calendar keeps your team organized. The integrated CRM / task management functions make team management and content approval easy.
Then there are different types of reporting. Higher plans have access to competition reports, trend analysis, etc. There are even response time reports that are great for teams.
On the higher plan, you'll find advanced features like chatbots and automation tools – a very nice addition to the platform.
Sprout Social has been my social media tool of choice for a while, and while they had an excellent platform, their focus on larger businesses and corporate customers didn't align with my own needs.
Because of the pricing of their plans, costs can rise quickly. For example, if I had only added 1 team member, my costs would have doubled.
If I needed 5 user accounts, my $ 99 / month would have been $ 495 / month.
- Publish and schedule your content.
- Having a social inbox means you won't miss any mentions or comments.
- Built-in social calendar for better organization.
- Powerful reporting function – additional reports available for higher plans.
- Custom content approval workflows.
- Chatbots and automation tools.
Price: From $ 99 per month per user. A free 30-day trial is available.
For me it boils down to Sendible and AgoraPulse as the all-round Hootsuite alternative. For me, both come first, but meet certain use cases better.
AgoraPulse is easier to use, but Sendible has some additional features. For example, you benefit from a social inbox and streams. However, learning takes a little longer.
Both are great for agencies and in-house teams, but Sendible has pricing plans for solo preneurs.
They're sturdy, inexpensive, and have great support. You will also receive regular feature updates to keep up with the latest social media trends.
If you want to manage your efforts on Pinterest, Tailwind is the best solution. I would recommend using this in conjunction with Sendible or AgoraPulse.
However, if you just want to schedule social media updates, Buffer Publish is a nice free option, but it's severely limited in terms of the number of posts you can schedule.
You could upgrade to a paid plan, but at this point it would make more sense to go for an all-in-one social media management platform like Sendible.
If you want a 100% free Hootsuite alternative, TweetDeck is the best option. The only serious limitation is that it only works with Twitter. Regardless, there are no restrictions on posts that you can schedule which is great.
Ultimately, the best Hootsuite alternative is the one that best suits your needs. So, consider the features you will need, your budget, and whether your needs may change in the near future. It may be best to choose a tool that gives you more room rather than migrating tools in the future.
Each tool on this list offers either a free trial or a limited free plan so you can get a feel for how the tool fits your social media strategy.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that we may pay a small commission when you make a purchase.